Chennai is one of the oldest cities of India with a rich cultural heritage along with highly urbanized population. It has been one of the most important places in Indian history which was part of many landmarks. The following 35 amazing facts are only some of the great things about the city which make it one of the greatest cities in the world!
1. Chennai is the second oldest corporation in the world after London. It was started in 1687
2. SIPCOT IT Park (Siruseri) is the Asia’s largest IT Park.
3. YMCA college is the Asia’s first college for “Physical Education” and it was established in 1920
4. Kathipara flyover in Guindy is the largest Clover leaf shaped flyover in Asia
5. It is the 31st Largest metropolitan city in the world and fourth most populous metropolitan city in India
6. “Higginbothams” book shop on Mount Road is the first and oldest existing book shop in India which was started in 1844
7. Chennai is the only Indian city to get featured among the Top 10 Best Cities to Travel in the World by Lonely Planet group
8. Chennai is the only city in South Asia and India to figure in the “52 places to go around the world” by The New York Times
9. St. Mary’s Church inside Fort St. George is the oldest Anglican church in India and the oldest British building in India, constructed in 1678
10. Chennai is the second largest IT exporter in India and Tidel park in Chennai was Asia’s largest IT park when it was built
11. Chennai region has the oldest rocks in the country dating back to a billion years
12. Chennai is the only oldest serving municipal corporation in India. Do you believe it was inaugurated in 1688!
13. Chennai Central prison is one of the oldest prisons in India
14. LIC building which was completed in 1959 was the tallest building in India at that time
15. Madras High Court building is the second largest judicial complex in world after the one in London
16. Royapuram railway station is the oldest railway station currently operational in India
17. Government college of fine arts (Madras School of Art) is the oldest art institution in India
18. In 1930, Madras University introduced Bachelor’s course in Music for the first time in India
19. Phoenix shopping mall at Velachery is the third biggest mall in India at an area of 2,400,000 sq ft
20. Chennai contributes to 40 % of retail Gold sales in India
21. Marina Beach is the second longest beach in the world
22. According to Forbes magazine, Chennai is one of the fastest growing cities in the world and the only Indian city to be rated in the “Forbes-Top 10 Fastest Growing Cities in the World”
23. A major part of India’s automobile industry is based in and around Chennai thus earning it the nickname “Detroit of India” and Chennai is the largest electronic hardware exporter in India.
24. World bank permanent back office in Chennai is the biggest building owned by World bank outside its headquarters in Washington D.C
25. Chennai is home to the first European-style banking system in India with the establishment of the ‘Madras Bank’ on 21 June 1683, almost a century before the establishment of the first commercial banks, such as the Bank of Hindustan and the General Bank of India, which were established in 1770 and 1786, respectively.
26. Chennai Koyambedu CMBT (Bus Termial) is the biggest bus terminal in Asia.
27. Chennai has the biggest artificial port in India & biggest in Bay of Bengal
28. Chepauk M.A. Chidambaram stadium is the oldest cricket stadium in India
29. Bus transportation was introduced by year 1925 in Chennai. Interestingly Flight service was introduced in 1917 itself.
30. Cancer institute established in 1920 is the oldest Cancer hospital in India.
31. Anna Centenary Library in Chennai is the biggest library in Asia. Vandalur zoo is the first public zoo and also largest in India.
32. Chennai has the highest two wheeler population in India. Chennai is the second largest employment producer in India with 35,000 jobs every year.
33. Chennai is the only Indian city to be attacked during world war 1
34. Spencer Plaza in Anna Salai is the oldest Shopping mall in India, set up during British Raj in 1863
35. The whole South Indian movie industry not just the Tamil movie industry but Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam movie industries operated out of Chennai
Source: The Hindu, Skyscrapercity.com, Quora.com
Author: StoryGAG Official
StoryGAG is all about trending news, gags and articles related to various fields without limiting to any particular area.